Saturday, March 5, 2011

Jen Grant, On Writing

In the midst of perpetual information overload, and with thoughts of nearing exams haunting my free time, it was hard for me to maintain my perspective. At times I couldn’t remember why I had chosen this path. I forgot what a rare privilege it was to serve as a physician, and lead a life of giving. For any of you who can relate, and have a foggy recollection of why you are studying so hard, take a moment and be mindful.
Writing can be a therapeutic tool for physicians and medical students. Sharing our stories is a powerful way to heal our tired minds, and restore our energy and perspective. It also unites us to the one, great story of humanity. I find that any form of writing is beneficial, whether it be writing short prose, a few lines of poetry, venting thoughts in a journal, or even just making a list of ideas.
As we spend our lives working toward helping others heal, it is important that we keep our own minds and souls healthy and open. When we maintain balance, we have more to give without feeling burnt out. I encourage you to get into the habit of taking time for reflection through writing.

Jennifer Grant is a third year student who wrote this reflection in her second year at VCOM.

1 comment:

  1. Jennifer

    I think you are correct about the healing power of writing. I have found this to be true in my life. Through reading & listening to stories of others I also discover universal truths that bring healing, balance & peace to my life.

    Willard

    ReplyDelete